Thursday, August 9, 2012

Africa Journal - Entry One



So, April 26 was the big departure day.  I flew from Albuquerque to D.C. where I got my flight to Johannesburg, SA.  I was surprised when I looked out the window and saw the Space Shuttle still parked there and attached to its transport plane.  A nice send off for my big trip.




We spent our first night in Africa in Johannesburg at a very nice hotel that was located right across the way from the airport.



The next morning, we flew into the Victoria Falls airport in Zimbabwe where we would catch our private bus for the drive to Botswana and the Baobob Lodge adjacent to Chobe National Park.  We came through this airport a number of times during our trip.


After crossing the border into Botswana, we saw our first wildlife sighting as we drove down the highway.






We arrived at Baobob Lodge in the afternoon and we were greeted by the staff with songs.  Then we headed to the lodge where we got a yummy welcome drink and some snacks.  The lodge overlooked a major animal track that led to a water hole, so at any time of day, you had a chance to see a variety of wildlife making their way to water.



This is a warthog making its way down the path.

My home for a couple of days.  The beds in each camp we stayed at were some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on in my life.


My tent also overlooked the path that led to the water hole.  Following are a few of the animals I saw from my deck.

There were a number of waterbuck making their way down the path this particular afternoon. 



                                                           


                                     Following are a couple more views from the lodge.






It had been a long day of traveling to get here and we were a tired group by the end of the day.  It would be an early wake up call in the morning....5:30 a.m. and we'd be off on our first game drive.




No comments:

Post a Comment